At Pawame we give energy access to Africa’s off-grid population, through a powerful Win-Win model.
We finance our Smart Solar Kits and accessory devices such as lights, radio, and TV and spread the cost to the consumer through an affordable monthly subscription plan, paid via existing mobile money platforms.
We strongly believe that the first step into electrification is the prerequisite to develop communities in Sub Saharan Africa. With this new communication channel, our clients will be able to subscribe to a variety of future services, further enabling gender equality, independence, education, micro entrepreneurship and local prosperity;
The Procurement Associate supports the interaction with company suppliers, freight service providers and local customs and import bodies. They are responsible for all day to day product purchasing. A key component of their role is to monitor and consistently drive suppliers to ensure the meeting of planned expenditure, lead times, product quality and overall efficiency of the Procurement & Supply Chain function.
1. Supply chain management
- Perform day to day supply chain activities that adhere to internally agreed demand planning which ensure availability of materials or products.
- Monitor forecasts and identify changes and their effect on supply chain activities.
- Support in the development of future supply chains that support business objectives to encapsulate new business opportunities, changing market conditions or cost reduction strategies. Adhere to long-range objectives and actions to achieve them.
- Measurement, comparison and evaluation of supply chain factors, through the use of existing company metrics, for supplier performance, product cost, product or service quality or other business objectives.
- Advise to management any changes in company supply chain practices needed for accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
2. Procurement and supplier management
- Drive improvements in price, quality and terms with suppliers, vendors, or freight service providers when needed.
- Support in the evaluation or selection of suppliers.
- Monitor supplier performance to assess ability to meet delivery and quality requirements.
- Develop standard cost lists.
- Adhere to and improve existing processes and procedures for procurement and supplier management.
3. Inbound logistics
- Select transportation routes to maximize economy by combining shipments or consolidating international warehousing and distribution.
- Engage local and international regulatory and government agencies to ensure successful import of products.
- Adhere to and improve processes and procedures for shipping and clearing.
4. Teamwork and Communication
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organisation -- Communicating with people outside the organisation, representing the organisation to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, by telephone or e-mail.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates -- Providing information to supervisors, co-workers and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Developing and Building Teams -- Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, mathematics, engineering, finance statistics, manufacturing, supply chain or management is required. Masters or other relevant advanced degree preferred.
- Certifications in IoSCM, CIPS or equivalent is a plus
- Minimum 2 - 3 years work experience in a progressive procurement role, with experience in a Business to Business (B2B) firm with responsibility for buying, cost management and reporting.
- Experience in financial analysis or data analysis is preferred.
- Prior working experience in East Africa preferably in the off-grid solar sector
- Fluency in English (spoken/written).
- Supply Chain Acumen: Some understanding of practical approaches to supply chain management and implementation.
- Negotiation: Maintaining one’s agenda whilst avoiding deadlock. Ability to conclude discussions with suppliers, partners, and alike to the company’s best interests.
- Production & Processing Knowledge of quality control, costs and other techniques for maximising the effective distribution of goods.
- Transportation: Knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Comfortable with information technology
- Judgment and Decision Making: Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions, choosing the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking: Using structure, logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Teamwork: Strong team work skills and ability to motivate diverse cross-functional teams without having direct authority over them.
- Entrepreneurship: Energetic self-starter who demonstrates strong resourcefulness and personal initiative. Requires little hand-holding to deliver complex tasks. High level of energy and motivation.
- Flexibility: Adaptable and comfortable in fast-changing start-up environment. Comfortable in uncertain and/or ambiguous situations. Fast learner. Willing to contribute in areas beyond formal job description.
- Cross-cultural skills: Ability to operate effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Communication: Strong oral and written communication skills. Comfortable presenting to senior management and large groups.
- Uncompromising integrity
How will your day to day look like?
- You will be making decisions and solving problems -- Analysing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- You will be organising, planning, and prioritising work -- Developing specific and plans to prioritise, organise, and accomplish your work.
- You will be monitoring and controlling resources -- Monitoring and controlling resources and overseeing the spending of money, people and time with budgets and frameworks set. Avoid budget underage and overage.
- You will be estimating the quantifiable characteristics of products, events and Information -- Estimating sizes, distances, and quantities; or determining time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a Supply Chain activity.
- Pawame is a fun, challenging and exciting place to work. Our work environment is casual but at the same time we are incredibly driven to be the best and have a compelling desire to win in the market. We consider ourselves a big family and happily welcome all newcomers;
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact low-income off-grid consumers, dramatically improving the lives of many families;
- We have an office with a beautiful garden and delicious meals are provided daily;
Package and other information
- This position is a full time role in our organisation. We pay a competitive salary with performance-based incentives and you get a chance to make delivery better for hundreds of thousands of consumers.
- Located in Kileleshwa, with potential travel throughout Kenya and potentially internationally.
- Start date as soon as possible and shortlisting is on rolling basis.
Want to apply?
Please ensure your CV is in PDF format. Remember to indicate the title of the job on the subject line. Lastly, please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.